Here is a list of articles and studies related to Astaxanthin research:
8 distance runners supplementing with 6mg/day AstaReal® Natural Astaxanthin for 4 weeks showed reduced blood lactic acid concentration 2 min after a 1200 m run compared to 8 runners in the control group (Sawaki K. et al. 2002).
16 women supplementing with 12mg/day AstaReal® Natural Astaxanthin for 6 weeks showed reduced blood lactic acid concentration compared to 16 women in the placebo group after a treadmill exercise (Fukamauchi M. et al. 2007)
21 trained soccer players supplementing 4mg/day AstaReal® Natural Astaxanthin for 90 days had no change in pro-inflammatory market, C-reactive protein (CRP), compared to 19 players in the placebo group that had 57% increase in CRP (Baralic I. et al.2015).
18 elite soccer players supplementing with 4mg/day AstaReal® Natural Astaxanthin for 90 days had lower levels of muscle damage markers, creatine kinase and aspartate aminotransferase, compared to 14 soccer players in the control group (Djordjevic B. et al. 2012).
21 soccer players supplementing with 4mg/day AstaReal® Natural Astaxanthin for 90 days had improved antioxidant enzyme activity (Paraoxonase 1, which is sensitive to exercise induced free radicals) compared to 19 soccer players in the placebo group (Baralic I. et al. 2013).
10 men supplementing with 6mg/day AstaReal® Natural Astaxanthin for 10 days showed improved blood rheology compared to 10 men in the placebo group (Miyawaki H. et al. 2008).
20 women supplementing with 12mg/day AstaReal® Natural Astaxanthin for 8 weeks showed improved peripheral blood flow compared to baseline, as measured by Ankle Brachial pressure Index (Iwabayashi M. et al. 2009).
1) 21 cyclists of ages 18 to 39 with Astaxanthin 4 mg/day were tested for VOmax, a 2 hr constant pre-exhaustion ride followed by 20km timed trial. Cyclists supplementing with AstaReal® Astaxanthin experienced an average 2 min improvement (5%) in the time necessary to complete the 20km timed trial, which was accompanied by a 20W increase (15%) in the average power output. In contrast, the placebo group experienced a 19 sec (0.8%) improvement in time and a 1.6W (0.5%) improvement in power output.
2) 16 distance runners belonging to Field and Track Athletic University team supplemented with AstaReal® Astaxanthin 6mg/day were tested for serum lactic acid levels. Serum lactic acid levels after 2 min of exercise were significantly reduced compared to the placebo group (p<0.05).
1. Effect of Astaxanthin on Cycling Time Trial Performance. C.P. Earnest et.al. Sports Med, 2011.
2. Sports Performance Benefits from taking Natural Astaxanthin Characterized by Visual Acuity and Muscular Fatigue Improvement in Humans. Keisuke Sawaki et.al. Journal of Clinical Therapeutics and Medicine, 2002.
3. Astaxanthin improves muscle lipid metabolism in exercise via inhibitory effect of oxidative CPT I modification. W. Aoi et.al. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, 2008.
Interested in trying astaxanthin? See our recommended products!